Sunday, March 30, 2014

Ogden Bouldering


(Post by Casey)
This spring we've taken the opportunity to really check out the bouldering on 27th street in Ogden. This area is often overlooked by Salt Lake climbers. I'm not really sure why.  It is a small area, but offers a style of climbing that compliments LCC quite well, incut crimps and blocky pinches on overhanging quarzite.  Most of my time in Ogden was spent projecting in a cave called the Spirit Walker Cave. This cave was cleaned, dug out, and developed through hard work by an extremely strong and motivated Ogden local, Anthony Chertudi.  It hosts about five or six problems ranging from V10-V13. It may look a bit chossy in sections, but the movement is phenomenal.  Some of the best physical steep climbing I've done.  This style seems to come a bit more natural to me so I was extremely psyched to have a boulder like this 45 minutes from home. 

Unfortunately, my spring season came to a close last week when I tore my lat.  I was only able to finish off Blood and Fire (V10).  My main objective in the cave was to climb Cinderella is Dead (V13).  I managed to do all the moves and make some links.  It feels very doable and I'll be looking forward to trying it in the fall.



 (Blood and Fire V10)


 Pins and Feathers V11?

 Pins and Feathers 

 JFC V7

 Cinderella is Dead V13

 Cinderella is Dead V13

The Cave V5


Blood & Fire: Ogden Bouldering from Casey Webb on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! Where did JFC start? Beta for this boulder seems really hard to come by. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete