Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Mystical Land



School has forced me to pick a random place with rocks to examine as a senior project.  After a little bit of pondering I thought to myself, "Hey I know a place with rocks".  This small stroke of genius has brought me to the mystical land of Ibex to do extensive research for a few hours during the day and climb every other small fraction of time.  

I really don't think there's anywhere that compares to  Ibex.  It is located right smack in the middle of nowhere.  There are a series of tall rocky ridges and vast valleys with randomly located outcrops of artistically colored bullet quartzite.  The majority of boulders are huge, with some nice lowballs.  The style is delicate yet powerful and most of the problems are very sustained, even through the mantles.  One of the best parts is that nobody is out there.  It seems to be bouldering's best kept secret. (If this is inspiring you to take a trip, please ignore my rants and raves of Ibex's awesomeness.  It is really just a really long drive to some frictionless crap.  The wind blows 90 miles an hour every day an it's usually raining some of the time.  Unless we invite you to come with us, then it's incredible.)

So here's a photodump from a couple of weekends spent in Nowhereland, UT:































No comments:

Post a Comment