Sunday, March 25, 2012

Barf and More Sends for Tommy

So last week was my spring break from school.  This means non-stop climbing for a week right? Well unfortunately I'm still nursing a finger injury so I felt like I at least needed to take it somewhat easy.  The plan was to go to Black and Tan on Monday then Joe's Thursday through Saturday. On Monday I did make it out to Black and Tan with Jens for some roped climbing.  It was fun, but I definitely have a long way to go to be able to climb anything significant on a rope.  I am loving the new challenge though.  On Thursday I was feeling completely psyched to be at Joe's.  My finger was feeling better than it had in a while and I was excited to try out some new problems.  I sent the Angler (V2) second try! Yay! Then we hiked around looking for various problems.  I was excited to check out the Accordion and Moment of Truth only to find a ten foot sheet of ice covering them!  As we made our way up to Trent's Mom I started to feel a little bit exhausted and sick to my stomach.  It was hot and I figured I just needed a better warm up.  So I climbed around a little bit until we gave up and started onward to the real goal of the trip, Godsend.  Godsend is a beautiful submarine prow jutting out of a cliff band about 500 vertical feet above the road.  I thought the deathly steep 30 minute hike would wake me up and fix my rumbling tummy.  I was wrong.  After getting there my stomach hurt so bad I could hardly stand.  I still gave Godsend a few solid goes to no avail.  It felt doable which was nice, maybe on a non terminal illness (maybe a bit dramatic) day I could send.  Tommy did it in a few tries of course.  At this point I was worried about my ability to hike down and was trying to think of a way to use my crash pad as a sled to avoid being on my feet.  Well anyway I started down and walked slowly about 100 feet before it all started to come up.  I quickly dropped my crash pad, bent over off the trail, and sprayed the hillside with a cascade of my belly's contents. It was the 2nd time I had thrown up in last 15 years of my life.  Fortunately, I felt a little bit better and made the hike down.  Unfortunately, I had to bail on Tommy later that evening (it was the longest 3 hour drive of my life). But also fortunately, he still had a good trip sending Godsend (V9) and The Incredible Hulk (V9). Here's his video:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment